Vehicles that require a registration and a title:
- Passenger vehicles
- 1986 and newer model vehicles
- Trucks and cargo vehicles
- Travel trailers, campers and horse trailers
- Motor homes
- Trailers weighing more than 2,000 pounds
Vehicles that require a registration only:
- 1962 and older model vehicles
- Boats and boat trailers
- Homemade trailers
- Utility trailers weighing 2,000 pounds or less
- 1963 – 1985 model vehicles (Titling is optional)
Vehicles that require no registration or title in Georgia
- Out-of-State student/business vehicles
- Mopeds (not street legal)
- Off Road Vehicles (not street legal)
New to Hall County? Welcome to Hall County…we look forward to serving you!
For easy print brochure with condensed information for renewal and registrations (including directions to Department of Drivers Services), choose our Motor Vehicle Information Brochure.
Moving to Hall County from another Georgia county?
The registered primary owner of the vehicle must submit the change of address request. Please notify us within 30 days of establishing residency in one of the following ways:
- By Email Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include tag number and a scanned copy or picture of owner’s driver’s license with new Hall County address.
- By Mail Mail the change of address request to Hall County Tax Commissioner | P O Box 1579 | Gainesville GA 30503. Include change of address form and copy of owner’s driver’s license with new Hall County address.
- By Fax Fax the change of address request to 770.531.7106. Include change of address form and copy of owner’s driver’s license with new Hall County address.
- In Person Address changes may be done in person by visiting us at the Hall County Government Center | 2875 Browns Bridge Rd | 1st Floor | Gainesville GA 30504, and presenting a valid Georgia driver’s license or ID card with the current Hall County address.
The plate/tag number remains the same, though a new gray decal to replace the old county information will be given. Of course, if using an “In God We Trust” decal, it can be kept in lieu of a county decal.
The Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) offers one free change of address. Visit their website for more information.
Moving to Hall County from another state?
Out-of-state title applications and registration require visiting the Hall County Tax Commissioner’s Office and bringing the following:
- A valid GEORGIA driver’s license/ID, which shows a current Hall County address (to obtain a Georgia driver’s license reflecting a Hall County address, apply for a driver’s license at the DDS website).
- Proof of valid Georgia insurance
Proof of Ownership:
Out of State Title
- Must have original title
- All listed owners on original title must be present or have a Limited Power of Attorney and copy of driver’s license from the owner who is absent
- Copy of lease agreement
- Original Limited Power of Attorney from lessor – allowing you to transfer title
- Current registration from previous state
Title Held by Lien Holder
- All listed owners on original title must be present or have an original Limited Power of Attorney and copy of driver’s license from the owner who is absent
- Current registration from previous state
- Lien holder’s – name, address, and account number OR copy of lien holder’s retained title
*Limited Power of Attorney form must include Vehicle identification number (VIN) and may be found HERE.
Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) is due at time of registration. TAVT is assessed at 3% of the vehicle’s fair market value.
- Applies to Out-of-State Titles with rebuilt brands, or one of the following rebuilt brands: Rebuilt, Salvaged, Salvage/Rebuilt, Restored, Reconstructed, X-Salvage.
- Must pass rebuilt inspection in the State of Georgia. (May need to wait 24 hours for passing vehicle inspection to upload to the state system before appointment.)
- Documents to bring to tag office: Inspectors Report, Hall County Driver’s License or ID, Proof of GA Insurance, Out of State Rebuilt Title.
- Fees: Title Fee – $18, State Fee – $100, TAVT – Paid at time of title transfer, TAG Fee – $20 (Standard Plate), Inspection Fee – up to $100 *Inspector will provide cost.
- State Certified Salvage Inspectors
Returning to Georgia?
Titling a Vehicle from Georgia to Out-of-State and Back: If your vehicle was previously registered in Georgia and the full TAVT (Title Ad Valorem Tax) was paid on that vehicle, no TAVT is due upon returning to Georgia as long as there has been no change of ownership. However, please be aware that there is an $18.00 fee for transferring the out-of-state title back to Georgia, in addition to a $20.00 regular tag fee.
All registrations in Georgia expire at midnight on the birthday of the owner (first person listed on title). It is the responsibility of the owner to renew registration before the deadline. Failure to receive a notice does not relieve the responsibility to renew by the deadline.
For more information, download and print out, our Motor Vehicle Information Brochure.
HALL COUNTY-TITLING FOR A MOTOR VEHICLE PURCHASE – PRIVATE SALE (NON DEALER)
The following items must be provided:
- Copy of valid Georgia driver’s license or State ID with HALL COUNTY residential address for each new owner. If titling to a business, also provide copy of business license.
- Original title with:
seller’s printed name(s) and signature(s) as appears on front of title
buyer’s printed name, signature and address
date of sale/purchase
- Complete and sign MV-1 form, which can be filled out and printed online eservices.drives.ga.gov
- Email address & Telephone number
- Payment for fees and TAVT –
- By check, certified check, money order payable to “Hall County Tax Commissioner”
- Credit/Debit card number with expiration and zip code. Card processing fees apply
PAYMENT IS CALCULATED AS FOLLOWS:
TAVT: To calculate TAVT click here and select Estimate Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) then follow and the questions regarding your vehicle.
TITLE: $18 fee PLUS
TAVT: __________ (amount calculated using the above link)
TAG: $20 for standard tag OR $5 to transfer- valid tag, provided tag # __________
Valid GA Insurance Policy Required
*Please make an appointment to come in to transfer a title. Appointments can be made online here or by calling 770-531-6950.
If any questions:
Office 770.531.6950 | Email email@example.com | Website hallcountytax.org