Temporary Operating Permits (TOP) may be issued for two (2) specific reasons:
- Purchase of a plate not in our inventory:
If you purchase a plate not in inventory, a 30 day TOP will be issued. The plate will be mailed by the Georgia Department of Revenue.
- Extension of a Georgia dealer TOP:
Georgia dealers issue a 45 day TOP. If the dealer has not completed the title process within 5 days of the expiration of the TOP, an extension may be requested at the Tax Commissioner’s Office. Only one TOP extension may be issued. TOP and extensions are only valid for a total of 60 days from date of purchase.
Requirements for TOP extension:
- Completion of extension affidavit – T-226 form
- Georgia driver’s license or ID card
- Valid Georgia Liability Insurance