Georgia law 40-2-44, along with other state regulations, requires that the following steps be taken to replace a missing or stolen license plate:
All lost or stolen license plates should be reported to law enforcement.
To create a police report online in Hall County, visit https://hallcounty.policetocitizen.com/reportincident
Please be prepared to provide the location where the incident occurred and your resident address. Your TAG number is required. If your newly purchased vehicle does not have a tag number assigned, please visit https://eservices.drives.ga.gov to get your duplicate registration.
A copy of the police report will be sent from the Hall County Sheriff’s office to the Tax Commissioner’s office.
Step 2: Provide payment for the lost or stolen plate
Appropriate replacement license plate fee:
- $8.00 for standard plates.
- $43.00 ($8.00 replacement license plate fee plus $35.00 manufacturing fee) for special prestige license plates
Note: Replacement fee may not apply if the original tag or plate was lost in the mail and a replacement request is submitted within ninety (90) days of the initial tag/plate issuance date, in addition to submitting a Form T-200 Affidavit of Non-Receipt of an Original License Plate and a copy of a police report.
Ways to pay:
- Drive-up drop box — 2875 Browns Bridge Rd. | Gainesville GA 30504
- Mail it — PO Box 1579 | Gainesville GA 30503
- Call Center — 770.531.6950
If you have any questions, please contact our office at 770.531.6950, text us at 833.602.8497, or email [email protected]
What to bring to your appointment:
PRIOR TO YOUR APPOINTMENT TIME – The completed and approved online incident report must be received by tag office staff, or the transaction cannot be completed.
- Completed Form MV-7 Application for a Replacement License Plate and/or Renewal Decal.
- License plates that were never received due to being lost in the mail can be replaced by submitting a notarized Form MV-7.
- Mutilated or damaged license plates must be surrendered to the tag office. If the plate cannot be surrendered, a notarized statement must be submitted certifying the destruction of the license plate.
- Completed Form MV-9B Special (Personal) Prestige License Plate Application, if special prestige license plate.
- Lost or stolen prestige/personalized license plates cannot be replaced with the same message. You must request a different personalized message.
If old plate is found / recovered:
- If a lost or stolen license plate is recovered or comes into your possession, you must immediately surrender it to the tag office.
- Any person displaying an old license plate on a vehicle will be subject to citation in accordance with Department of Revenue – Motor Vehicle Division laws.